Maze Progress #2

I’ve decided to do away with the 3-floor rotating part of my design as it proved to be too difficult to manage, and was taking far too long to try to even plan, so instead my maze is simply based on the time travel aspect and interacting with plants.

I spent a while today sketching out vines and doors, and how they will affect the path you take through the maze by covering holes, blocking doors, allowing climbing etc. I will still need to make some perspective drawings of these for model sheets for modelling. I have also begun to block out the maze in 3DS Max to get a basic perspective on how things look and the scale of the maze.

Am I ready to make a game?

At the moment, no. I still have to make some model sheets for my assets and tweak my level plants as I have come across a few issues with my pathing. I still also need to finish my flow chart for my maze, to help me plan mechanics and objectives. After that, I also need to design some puzzles for obstacles and figure out what needs to be modelled from those.


Maze Progress #1

I managed to finally solidify my theme in to something interesting, and even come up with a few ideas for mechanics out of it – a plant theme with a time mechanic to allow moving back and forth between different versions of the maze to access newer areas, with multiple floors that rotate. I managed to get a new plan out in the form of a Gantt Chart to help with the rest of my project and make sure I don’t fall behind.

I managed to get one of the floor maps for my maze done, but I will need to adjust it slightly to make use of the newer mechanics, and create sketches and concepts of the different assets I plan to have for the different puzzles of the maze.

For the rest of the week, I will need to make sure I get the rest of the maze layouts finished and ready for blocking out in 3DS Max, so I can then move it and assets in to unreal to finish building the level.