Evaluation

Despite the many struggles I have faced throughout this project, I think I consider it a success.

The initial plan was to create some sketches, model the creature and then texture it. Again, I misjudged the difficulty of the task at hand, although I still had more success than the last project as I managed to get a fully finished model. My target audience were people aged 18-35, as I wanted the project to appeal to more than just video game players –  I wanted it to appeal to Tabletop and D&D players too.

While I didn’t do as much research as my last project, I still did a good amount of research. My sample size for my audience is not very large, less than 100. My primary research is severely lacking, with the main source being playing through Skyrim and running sessions for Dungeon and Dragons. I have a good amount of secondary research, however, to compensate, such as screenshots and artist renditions of other dragons from other games, real-world folklore of dragons, and data from the games Tim had played that involved dragons. I already had a dragon idea in mind by this point so the research only really helped to finalize and solidify that design.

My planning was much better for this project, for the first two weeks I managed to keep to my own deadlines, and the next few weeks after that, I was only delayed slightly by a few days. This delay became much longer by the end of the project, but my main goal was still manageable; to make a recognisable model. Going forward, I will need to make sure that I am ready to forgo and drop certain parts of my project or change aspects if it looks like it will take too long to complete. I also need to make sure to keep a diary and keep track of my progress on this project consistently and dated.

I managed to show a good amount of my photoshop and 3D skills in this project, as I had to create a head drawing before I started the modelling as well as a side view, to help me model the dragon. Even when I found parts of the dragon that were particularly tough to try to model through, I managed to eventually develop my skills enough to figure out how to get past that obstacle.  I think I could have done more sketches in my sketchbook, but I also think that the sketches I have are of a good enough quality.

The presentation of my work hasn’t changed much, except for the fact that my blog has been changed to a theme that is easier on the eyes to read. The navigation of the blog is rather simple and easy to get around, so my work is very easy to find and clearly presented.  Tags can also be used to quickly find all the work that may come under a specific category such as “3D”.

The main obstacle for my project was my misjudgment of the scale of the project, which lead to me not doing as much on the project as I would have liked, as well as my lack of early research to support and back up my thoughts. I will need to make sure that I get a much larger sample size for my audience research and more primary research to make the production processes easier. I will also need to make sure my plan is more adaptable.

For comparison, Yoshi’s character was initially designed but wasn’t able to be implemented due to technical limitations. I did not have any technical limitations to my design, so I had much more freedom with what I did. When Yoshi was eventually implemented, the character was designed from a functional point of view, again due to technological limits, which allowed the character to fit and work in the game. I think coming at the design from a functional and technical perspective, despite my lack of technical limitations, could have made my project a lot better as I would have been able to make sure that the difficulty of the task wasn’t too much. My current design was based almost entirely off aesthetics and theme, which made it much harder to gauge how difficult the production process would be.