I’ve decided to do away with the 3-floor rotating part of my design as it proved to be too difficult to manage, and was taking far too long to try to even plan, so instead my maze is simply based on the time travel aspect and interacting with plants.
I spent a while today sketching out vines and doors, and how they will affect the path you take through the maze by covering holes, blocking doors, allowing climbing etc. I will still need to make some perspective drawings of these for model sheets for modelling. I have also begun to block out the maze in 3DS Max to get a basic perspective on how things look and the scale of the maze.
Am I ready to make a game?
At the moment, no. I still have to make some model sheets for my assets and tweak my level plants as I have come across a few issues with my pathing. I still also need to finish my flow chart for my maze, to help me plan mechanics and objectives. After that, I also need to design some puzzles for obstacles and figure out what needs to be modelled from those.
The chair consists of 125 polygons, 165 vertices and was made from a box using Slice, Extrude, Chamfer and auto-smooth/smoothing groups. The process was fairly simple, then a material was added via the material editor.
This time, the models were primarily based off splines.
The bottle I made by drawing the outline of half the bottle, then applying a lathe modifier to it to bring it around. I then added an edit-poly modifier and adjusted the position of some of the vertices at the bottom of the bottle.
The screwdriver was done using Loft. I used splines to draw a few shapes (A star, 2 circles, a rectangle) and a line for the “Path”. The star was adjusted into a flower-shape. I clicked the line, and added the loft modifier to it, adding the shapes every so often along the path which would then expand to fit the shapes, until I ended up with the screwdriver.
Again, the techniques were rather simple and there was no difficulty to using them, at all – I feel like I could comfortably use the two in future projects.
Lathe can be used in any object that is circular from one or more axis, such as a bottle or a wine glass (both are circular from the top-down).
Loft would be much more useful for snaking objects such as roads, or anything that is long or continuous. Other examples could be for the screwdriver or potentially walls.
So, Today I messed around with MSmooth and Auto-Smooth in 3DS Max, and made a couple joysticks and a few taps.
The basic models were first created by creating a box, adding an edit poly modifier to it and just using extrude, inset and bevel until I got the basic shape.
For the joystick, I then added some chamfers (which cuts/flattens a corner/edge) to make the shape seem a little more natural and then added auto-smooth so the render visual would seem a lot smoother. The top of the second joystick looks much more smooth than the tip of the first Joystick.
With the taps, I simply applied M-Smooth and then a few Auto-Smooths (under Polygon Smoothing Groups) to the second one – it ended up very round, Not something I’m a huge fan of. With the third, I applied a few chamfers to some areas and then auto-smoothed, I think it turned out much better.
I found that while M-Smooth does apply a lot of smoothing to the shape, it also makes the geometry unecessarily complicated, and it gives me much less control – it will smooth the entire shape. Chamfer with Auto-Smooth gives me much more control on specific sections and groups of the object.
Overall the process was rather simple, Just a few modifications will smooth a lot of the object in almost any way I want it to. I could see use of this in modelling to reduce the amount of geometry I need to make something appear smooth – or make something appear smooth if I think it already has enough geometry.
Following up on my concept sketches for my Alternative Cities theme, I went forward and made a few 3D Models of some assets and a section of the city itself
While I’m happy with the models themselves for the most part, I don’t think any of them (with the exception of the spaceship) portray my intentions and my theme very well. The buildings look like general buildings and the city looks like some buildings surrounding a flower.
Following this, I would like to redo the models or maybe add some detail to them to make them more indicative of my sci-fi theme, and incorporate some of the magic elements I originally intended to be in here. I’d also like to do a few more spaceships with more detail and on a larger scale
At least I think it’s a dinosaur.
This was made using various techniques, such as Free Form Distortion and a few Parametric Modifiers and some Mesh Editing
Yes, I am aware of her lack of legs and arms.
This let me practice some of my skills in 3D which I’m now more comfortable with, primarily Free Form Distortion.
I really want to spend some more time on this and add more detail to it, the basic shape to this is extremely simplistic. I also want to add a texture and animate it at some point in the future.